“A feast every day in your hearts in the joy of my rapture!” –AL II:42
Today, October 5, is Global James Bond Day, World Teacher Day, and World Smile Day. In the United States, it’s also National Storytelling Day, National Get Funky Day, National Diversity Day, National Denim Day, National Apple Betty Day, and Do Something Nice Day. Some people also celebrate Plaidurday on the first Friday of October. That’s an awful lot of celebrating to do in one day. Let’s get started with a tasty recipe.
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Mound sliced apples in the pie plate. Sprinkle with orange juice.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scatter over the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
More about some of today’s observations: