Thursday is Thor’s Day, and according to 777, Thor corresponds to nettles. While nettles don’t sound like a terribly pleasant base for a recipe, there are actually a number of ways to enjoy them. You simply need to be careful about handling nettles before they are cooked.
Risotto with Nettles
- 6 oz nettles, stems removed
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio, vialone nano or carnaroli rice
- ¾ cup dry white wine, preferable Sauvignon Blanc
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
To remove the stems from the nettles, be sure to use latex gloves.