The Feast of the Apparition of the Daughter of Fortitude is the 23rd of May, the anniversary of the 1587 vision of Edward Kelly pertaining to Our Lady Babalon. In The Vision and the Voice, Aleister Crowley says of Our Lady:
Let him look upon the cup whose blood is mingled therein, for the wine of the cup is the blood of the saints. Glory unto the Scarlet Woman, Babalon the Mother of Abominations, that rideth upon the Beast, for she hath spilt their blood in every corner of the earth and lo! she hath mingled it in the cup of her whoredom.
In honor of her cup of fornications, here are two recipes.
- 1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
- ¼ cup brandy
- ¼ cup orange flavored liqueur (recommended: triple sec or Grand Marnier)
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 tbs fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ orange, thinly sliced
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 unwaxed apple, cored, and cut into thin wedges
- 1 (750-ml) bottle sparkling water, chilled
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse at the Food Network.
- 4 cups fresh pig’s blood
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups steel-cut (pinhead) oatmeal
- 2 cups finely diced pork fat (or beef suet), finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground allspice
Read complete instructions at Epicurious.