“A feast every day in your hearts in the joy of my rapture!” –AL II:42
Today, July 16, 2018, is Global Hug Your Kid Day, National Get Out of the Doghouse Day, National Personal Chef Day, National Corn Fritter Day, and National Fresh Spinach Day. You might be able to get out of the doghouse if you cook the following two recipes!
- 3 cups oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbs shortening, melted
- 1 (12 oz) can whole kernel corn
- Heat oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Beat together egg, milk, and melted shortening; stir into flour mixture. Mix in the corn kernels.
- Drop fritter batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil, and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.
Spinach, Apple and Walnut Salad
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored, cut into large dice
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, about half a 6 oz. bag
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs agave nectar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
Toss apples with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Place spinach in a large bowl; remove long stems and bruised leaves. Whisk together remaining juice, olive oil, vinegar, agave nectar, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Toss spinach with apples, carrots and dressing. Top with walnuts.