Sunday 10 March is the 34th anniversary of Israel Regardie’s death in Sedona, Arizona. Born Israel Regudy 17 November 1907 in London, England, Regardie wrote fifteen books on the occult over the course of his lifetime. Aside from being personal secretary to Aleister Crowley, he’s also known for publishing the principle teachings of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Some sources imply that he might have been successful in summoning space aliens, but you should make your own decisions about that.
Books by Regardie include:
- A Garden of Pomegranates, 1932
- The Tree of Life, 1932
- My Rosicrucian Adventure, 1936
- The Art of True Healing, 1937
- The Golden Dawn, 1937-40
- The Middle Pillar, 1938
- The Philosopher’s Stone, 1938
- The Romance of Metaphysics, 1945
- The Art and Meaning of Magic, 1964
- Be Yourself, the Art of Relaxation, 1965
- Twelve Steps to Spiritual Enlightenment, 1969
- The Eye in the Triangle, 1970
In recognition of A Garden of Pomegranates, here is a delicious recipe to enjoy in Regardie’s honor:
Braised Fennel with Pomegranate
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs (1 ¾ pounds total), trimmed and cut into 1 ½-inch wedges, plus fronds for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (1 tbs)
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth [substitute vegetable broth for a vegan alternative]
- 2 tbs pomegranate juice
- 2 tbs finely shredded mint
- 2 tbs finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Heat a large skillet over high; add olive oil and fennel in a single layer (work in batches, if needed).
- Season with salt and pepper; cook until browned, 2 minutes a side.
- Add garlic, orange juice, broth, and pomegranate juice. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer, turning once, until tender, 8 minutes.
- Uncover; cook on high until liquid is syrupy, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate; let cool 5 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with mint, fennel fronds, hazelnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
(Source: Martha Stewart)
Want to learn more about Israel Regardie?