Today, March 7, is the 31st anniversary of Divine’s death. Born Harris Glenn Milstead, Divine was a mainstay of John Waters films, notably “Multiple Maniacs,” “Pink Flamingos,” “Polyester,” and “Hairspray.” The Baltimore Sun says, “Even in death, Divine — the larger-than-life drag queen made famous in John Waters’ films — lives on.” Members of William Blake Lodge, O.T.O., will be making an informal pilgrimage to Divine’s grave this Saturday.
According to IMDB, the dog feces are real in the infamous final scene of “Pink Flamingos,” and “Divine’s reaction to eating it was real.” In memory of this exercise in bad taste, here’s a recipe.
100% Edible Poop (That Didn’t Come From Your Dog!)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ⅛ cup chocolate syrup
- 1-3 tbs cornstarch
- Optional: Nuts
- Put the peanut butter, chocolate syrup, and corn starch in a bowl.
- Mix it together with an electric mixer until it looks right.
- Chop nuts a variety of sizes for a more realistic look. Mix them in using a spoon or a spatula.
- Cut the corner of a ziplock bag (or get really large cake frosters) so there is a hole about ¾ inch in diameter. This will vary depending on how big you want it to be. The hole usually gets wider too.
- Put the mixture into the bag and refrigerate for a few hours until firm.
- Take out of the refrigerator and squeeze it out of the bag through the hole (or out of the cake frosters if you used those).
- Shape with your hands as needed.
Learn more about Divine: