Tuesday is “Tewesday,” or “Tīw’s Day,” the day of Tiw or Týr, who was the Norse god of single combat, victory and heroic glory. Tiw corresponds to Mars, and the name of the day is a translation of Latin dies Martis. In Japanese, the word Tuesday is 火曜日(ka youbi), meaning “fire day” and is associated with 火星 (kasei): Mars (the planet), literally meaning “fire star”. Similarly, in Korean the word Tuesday is 화요일 (hwa yo il), also meaning fire day. To celebrate Fire Day, we bring you a flambé steak recipe.
- 2-4 trimmed strip steaks, 1 inch thick or 2-4 filet mignon steaks, 1 ½ inch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbs coarsely crushed peppercorn
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (no substitutions)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-4 ounces hot brandy per steak