Today is the first day of Kwanzaa, a week-long celebration honoring African heritage in African-American culture. The holiday is observed from December 26 to January 1, culminating in a feast and gift-giving. The feast, known as Karamu, usually takes place on December 31.
In the spirit of this celebration, here are suggested Karamu recipes to pick and choose your own menu.
- Chicken Peanut Curry Soup
- Kwanzaa Cornbread Squares
- Drop Biscuits
- Southern Cornbread Dressed-Up Chicken
- Spicy Blackened Catfish
- Collard Greens with Red Onions and Bacon
- Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- Southern Black-Eyed Peas
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Fried Okra
- Coconut Rum Pie with Pineapple
- Glazed Mango Pound Cake
Learn more about the holiday of Kwanzaa: