Today, January 23, is National Pie Day in the United States, not to be confused with Pi Day, which is March 14.
According to one story, school teacher named Charlie Papazian declared National Pie Day for the first time in 1975 in Boulder, Colorado, on his birthday. Charlie really loved pie, preferring a “birthday pie” instead of a birthday cake. Since that day, his idea for a National Pie Day has gone national.
Another story says that National Pie Day was created by the American Pie Council. The American Pie Celebration began in 1986 to commemorate Crisco’s 75th anniversary of “serving foods to families everywhere.”
Pie can be either sweet or savory, depending on your preference. You can bake your own, or take advantage of a freebie offered on National Pie Day.
Deals and Freebies for Pie Day:
- AI Sports Nutrition – Coupon code “Duncan 30” gets you an unspecified discount on pumpkin pie-flavored whey protein from AI Sports Nutrition.
- Black Eyed Pea
- Bob Evans – Free slice of pie on January 23.
- Carrows Restaurant
- Coco’s Bakery Restaurant
- Free slice of pie when you join the eClub
- Get a pair of entrees and a slice of pie to share for $20 or upgrade to a premium pair for $30
- Premium pies starting at $9.99
- O’Charley’s – Get a free slice of pie every Wednesday with entree purchase (dine-in only, restaurant participation varies)
- Village Inn – Check out these great deals: