Today, July 19, is Flight Attendant Safety Professionals Day, Get to Know Your Customers Day, New Friends Day, National Flitch* Day, National Raspberry Cake Day, and National Daiquiri Day. On this day in 1834 Edgar Degas was born, and in 1848 the Seneca Falls Convention Began. Let’s celebrate all these events with a recipe for Raspberry Cake!
Last year on this day, we celebrated daiquiris. Celebrate again today, if you like!
Today’s recipe is not only delicious, but also vegan and gluten free.
Raspberry “Buttermilk” Cake
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 cups gluten free flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper (see photos above). Spray the pan with nonstick spray and then dust with gluten free flour.
- In a glass measuring cup, stir together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the melted coconut oil, vanilla, and coconut milk mixture.
- Stir until smooth. Gently fold in the raspberries.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 for 28-32 minutes. The cake should be lightly golden on top and a toothpick should come out of the center clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve!
*A Flitch is a a side of unsliced bacon. It has other definitions as well, but this is a food post, so they don’t matter right now.