Today is World Blood Donor Day, Flag Day (US), Jerky Day, International Bath Day, Farm Workers Day, and Bourbon Day. To celebrate, why not enjoy some beef jerky and drink some bourbon? Or just drink the bourbon. Or just eat the jerky. In the bath.
Below is a recipe for beef jerky. This takes a while, so you might just need to drink bourbon in the tub while you wait.
- ¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbs smoked paprika, or to taste
- 1 tbs honey, or more to taste
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 pounds beef top round, thinly sliced
- Whisk Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, paprika, honey, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder together in a bowl. Add beef to bowl and turn to coat beef completely. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, 3 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over the foil.
- Transfer beef to paper towels to dry. Discard marinade. Arrange beef slices in a single layer on the prepared wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Bake beef in the preheated oven until dry and leathery, 3 to 4 hours. Cut with scissors into bite-size pieces.