This Sunday, August 12, will be the 115th Feast for the First Night of the Prophet and his Bride. Rose [Edith Kelly] and Aleister Crowley married on August 12 1903, allowing her to escape an arranged marriage. This marriage, first of convenience, led to what would turn out to be one of the most important events in Crowley’s life — the writing of the Book of the Law. Rose and Aleister had two children, Nuit Ma Ahathoor Hecate Sappho Lilith (born 1904, died 1906) and Lola Zaza (born 1906). Rose and Aleister divorced in 1909.
Enjoy this romantic dessert in memory of the First Night!
Cheesecakes with Raspberry Hearts
- 1½ cups finely ground graham crackers (about 12)
- 3 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar
- 6 oz fresh raspberries
- 2 pounds (four 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Stir together crackers, butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar; press 1 tablespoon into bottom of each cup. Bake until set and beginning to color at edges, about 10 minutes. Transfer tins to rack to cool.
- Puree raspberries in a food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds. Press through a fine sieve; discard solids. Whisk in 2 tablespoons sugar.
- With mixer on medium-high, beat cream cheese until fluffy. On low, add remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar in a slow stream. Mix in salt and vanilla until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each (do not overmix) and scraping bowl.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons filling over crust in each cup. Drop 2 dots of raspberry puree about 1 inch apart in cupcake. Drag the tip of a toothpick or wooden skewer down through centers of dots to create a heart.
- To bake, set tins in oven in roasting pans filled halfway with hot water; bake until set, about 34 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer tins to racks to cool completely. Refrigerate in tins, uncovered, at least 4 hours; remove from tins.
Want to learn more?